Just in case you're an Australian customer, and you are tempted to buy a RED Paddle Co board from an online seller in the UK, because it looks cheaper, be aware that it will actually almost as much as buying locally.
Here's why -
1. The FREE freight is not free. It costs you $62.00AUD (on current exchange rates) to have it shipped outside the UK.
2. You'll pay GST before it gets delivered to you, so add on 10%
3. That's a total of $1546.00 which is $53.00 less than you will pay from us. (for a 10'6" Ride)
4. You won't get local advice and the help that a local dealer will give you.
5. You won't keep an Australian business operating and keep jobs in Australia.
6. And it will take you a couple of weeks to get it!
Support Australian jobs - buy local!
Test riding the 8'6 Stonker Stubby SUP board on the Surf Coast near Torquay, less than 30 minutes from Geelong
We had a call recently from a lady who was not quite sure what type of paddle board to buy. As always, we like to ask lots of questions of our customers to try to help them work out what the best type of paddle board is for them to buy.
It turned out that for this particular lady, a RED Inflatable stand up paddle board was going to be the best board for her. She thanked me for my time and assistance and asked the price and what came in the package. She then went about looking for the best deal she could find elsewhere.
She very nicely phoned me back to say she had found a better deal online elsewhere. I asked her to send me the link as I couldn't believe that she could get a deal in Australia for about $250.00 less than what we offer and I searched online to the best of my ability and could not find it anywhere. So I went to the website she sent me a link to.
It turned out that the website she linked to was in the UK. They have their prices in Australian dollars, and advertise free* world wide shipping. The * lead to a condition that the "free" world wide shipping did not apply to SUP boards, inflatable or otherwise. The cost to Australia was 70.00GBP or about $118.00AUD. Another thing she had not considered was that her import of a SUP board would be subject to GST, about another $130.00. So when taking all that in to account she was no better getting no better deal from the UK website than she would get from us!
Why we sell RED Paddle inflatable SUP boards.
- RED Paddle are one of the only companies who specialize in inflatables. They do the R & D – all the others try to copy but can’t.
- RED Paddle are the best! (don’t buy any other brand, just don’t, it’s not worth it, no matter how much you think you might save!)
- RED Paddle have the greatest variety of sizes and shapes available. More choice for you!
- RED Paddle are the strongest boards on the market. Recommended inflation level is 25 PSI, most others are 15 PSI). This board will outlast the others by far.
- RED Paddle honour their 12 month warranty. Peace of mind for YOU!
- RED Paddle supply the best pump on the market. Pump your board up easier and faster!
- RED Paddle have the best quality bag. Will not let you down!
- RED Paddle boards are not only the strongest they are also the lightest. Easier to carry and load in to the car.
- RED Paddle fins are virtually unbreakable. No problems for you with fins.
- RED Paddle boards are the stiffest, so therefore paddle the best.
- RED Paddle construction, called MSP Fusion is absolutely airtight. You can inflate the board once and leave it and you won’t have to pump it up again until you deflate it. Other boards deflate slowly. And it’s stiff and stronger and light. I already said that but it’s so important that it’s worth repeating!
When should you buy an inflatable SUP board and when should you buy a traditional (hard) stand up paddle board?
Each type of board has some distinct advantages over the other. Like all surfboard designs, what you gain in one area you lose in another. It's a constant game of swings and roundabouts.
The first question to ask yourself is this - Am i going to ride waves on my SUP? If you are not already a surfer, the learning curve to get to the point where you can ride seriously good waves on a SUP board is quite high. If you're not really going to surf, but instead be a recreational paddler on mostly flat water, you should think seriously about getting an inflatable board. If you want to surf, get a hard board.
Next question - do you have storage or transport problems that make a hard stand up paddle board difficult to have? Do you drive a small convertible? Do you live in an high rise apartment with no garage storage? If you answered yes to any of these questions, an inflatable SUP might be the answer to your problems.
One more question - is the cost of ownership an issue for you? e.g. if you have a hard board, you will probably "ding" it, and if you ding it you'll need to either repair it yourself or have someone like us fix it for you. The chances of you "dinging" (damaging) a good quality inflatable board are extremely low.
I hope that helps! The key thing is that you get out on the water and have a great time, and that will happen no matter what type of SUP you get. Our job is to help you get the best SUP for your lifestyle and use.
We have heaps of new boards in the shop now. Our own Stonker brand, RED Paddle, Blue Planet, Oahu SIx and most importantly our new StonkBox. If you want a high performance SUP, the StonkBox re-writes all the rules about how you expect a board to look and perform. Go to our online store to check them out and come to the shop or one of our demo days and take one for a paddle. Watch the videos on YouTube like this one from Rick Pettifer riding the board that the StonkBox was modelled on - the Gulliver VBox. We have made some slight adjustments to improve the size range and performance of this iconic board.
If you want some great instructional videos, go no further than the Blue Planet YouTube channel. I recently met Rob Stehlik who you will see on the Blue Planet videos. A very humble guy and a true gentleman, and he has a wealth of knowledge regarding stand up paddle boarding. While he was here in Torquay he was the Male Open winner of the SUP division of "The Impossible", an open water paddle race from Barwon Heads to Torquay via Point Impossible. I am told he has in the past won his age division in the famous Molokai event in Hawaii.
We are looking to an exciting summer and hope it gets here soon!
See you in the shop and on the water!
We have been getting our summer stock of SUP boards made overseas now for the past 6 years. We have used several different factories over that time, but for about the last 4 years I knew of one particular factory that I wanted to use, but because of our low volumes we weren't able to meet their minimum order quantity. So this year we placed our order with this factory, and I must say it has been an absolute pleasure working with them. For you, the customer, this means that you will be getting a superior quality product at a real value-for-money price. Mid-winter we received our prototypes and with just a little bit of fine-tuning, the finished products are now on the water and will be in the shop late October.
What's different about this years stand up paddle board? Most of the boards come in two levels of construction - FULL STRENGTH and LITE. The LITE boards are around 10% lighter, and an industry standard 2 * 6oz fibreglass layup with reinforcing patches in key areas. The FULL STRENGTH boards feature a deck that is first laminated with carbon fibre cloth, then genuine bamboo laminate (not just a print that some cheap boards have) with 6oz fibreglass over that. This deck is rock solid and will last quite a bit longer than the cheap boards on the market.
The FULL STRENGTH boards also feature the LIFTSUP handle. You can see from the pictures here that the handle pops up and you can get a decent grip on the board. This is much better to control the board with when you are out of the water, especially if it's a bit windy. When you are in the water, the handle just pushes back down in to the recess. It's a pretty neat design!
We also have a lot more boards to choose from this year and we will be continually adding to our range, in order to provide you with the most comprehensive range of boards available from an Australian based manufacturer. Being based in Torquay, we are really fortunate to have good surf for at least 9 months of the year and lots of different breaks so we can test ride our new designs for you. It's a tough job but someone has to do it!